You are using an old and unsupported browser. Upgrade to a modern browser for a better experience
IDC2020 has additional support for people living with dementia and their carers. To learn more please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 2 8437 7355 (Australia) or +44 (0) 7787 168 168 (Europe).
IDC2020 prioritises supporting delegates with dementia and carers who may not have attended a conference before. You can learn more here.
This workshop is designed for Case Staff working in a residential or community care setting.
This is an introductory module which addresses frequently asked questions about dementia. It focuses on the experience of the person living with dementia and develops understanding of the person's perspective. It introduces current best practice approaches and challenges staff to reflect on their practice.
At the end of this workshop participants will be able to:
· Define dementia, outline prevalence in Australia and identify risk factors
· List some causes and types of dementia
· Describe common symptoms and the progression of dementia
· Explain the perspective of the person living with dementia - the physical, psychological, social impact of dementia
· Identify key concepts in best practice (dementia as disability, knowing the person, relationship based care, life engagement).
Polly Whitworth - Consultant, Dementia Centre, HammondCare
Please be advised this website collects and stores your cookies to improve your experience.
The content in this presentation is communicated to you by the speaker organisation pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968. The presentation remains the property of the authors and cannot be reproduced, adapted, distributed, publicly performed or displayed without prior permission.